We're looking for a Product Developer who loves nothing better than playing—and making—folkroots rhythm instruments. So if you are a creative old-time rhythm player who likes to work with your hands, then you will want to check this out.
Rapidly growing home-based business needs ambitious self-starter to make and develop folkroots rhythm instruments.
This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is perfect for a banjo player or jugband musician who enjoys making things and working with your hands. But just as important, if you are the kind of person who wants a piece of the action, and if you have enough business savvy and drive and horse sense to ultimately take the reins and run this multi-channel retail and wholesale ecommerce network (eBay & Amazon plus our own ecommerce shops) with a few close associates, then you will probably want to drop whatever you are doing and submit your resume now, while you still have the chance.
Job in a Nutshell
Do you love folkroots music? Do you play the washboard, spoons or kazoo? Are you a natural-born designer who is handy with shop tools and enjoys crafting objects by hand? Are you good with people and computers, sharp as a tack, and thrive on responsibility? Then you are qualified. Everything else below is just details.
- Must be highly resourceful and results oriented with great attention to detail. Requires excellent organizational, administrative, computer, and writing skills.
- Must have product design portfolio that demonstrates your ability to take a project from concept to completion. Must include examples of technical drawings and finished products. In short, this position requires a self-motivated craftsperson who knows how to get things done. Degree in product design preferred, but not required. Must be able to lift 50 pounds. Must live in or near Saint Louis.
- You are totally at home in a workshop. You know your way around the hardware store and absolutely enjoy using your hands. You know how to safely operate and maintain workshop tools such as a bandsaw, drill press, router, circular saw, jig saw, wet grinder, wet belt sander, tile wet saw, buffing wheel and polishing compounds. You have experience using virtually every kind of hand tool. You know the difference between metal-cutting and wood-cutting drill bits (and saw blades). You know the difference between sandpaper grits. You know how to apply various glues, solvents, and finishes. You are a creative (and maybe somewhat "mad") inventor who takes delight in finding the right nuts, bolts, screws, nails or other fasteners to do a job—outfitting a washboard with all the bells & whistles for instance. Experience using heavy-duty sewing machine a plus.
- Since hand-held folkroots rhythm instruments are what we sell, then you must have experience playing hand-held folkroots rhythm instruments—particularly washboard, spoons and bones. Experience playing kazoo, Cajun triangle, musical saw, jaw harp, jug, washtub bass and the like highly desirable.
- Band experience with various musical genres required—preferably Minstrel, Old-time, Irish, Cajun, Ragtime, Blues and Jugband. In other words, to effectively develop the products we sell, you must know first-hand how they are used in an actual musical setting. Experience playing banjo or box a plus. Living history experience a plus.
- Requires experience on Mac platform with working knowledge of CAD, Photoshop Elements, Numbers, Pages, Keynote, iMovie (or equivalents). Experience with BBEdit and database software a plus. Experience creating and editing documents using Adobe Acrobat desirable. Experience with Volusion or similar eccomerce environments a plus. Social media savvy with experience on YouTube and Facebook desirable.
- Must be creative. Skills in graphic design, an eye for photography, and experience producing ad layouts, booklets, business cards, labels, coupons and other promotional materials would make you especially attractive.
Definite partnership potential for right person with design, marketing, ecommerce, administrative and leadership skills. Could possibly take over business in 5 to 10 years.
Make musical bones and other simple folkroots rhythm instruments and accessories; develop new products; create prototypes; provide technical specifications & drawings; manage production with manufacturers; expand and improve product lines; source new products; manage other creative projects and provide help as needed. We work in a fast-paced (yet relaxed) environment. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to take charge and own these tasks:
- Produce proprietary products.
- Develop new products.
- Create product prototypes.
- Provide technical drawings and specifications for manufacturers.
- Manage in-house and supplier production.
- Source new products and suppliers.
So if making and developing products at the world's largest (and only) shop that specializes in hard-to-find traditional & jugband rhythm instruments sounds appealing to you. And if the idea of growing alongside a small rapidly expanding company where the sky is the limit makes your heart beat faster, then send your resume today to email@example.com with a note explaining why the heck you want to work with traditional folkroots rhythm instruments.
Part-time to full-time, depending on skills and sales.
- Hourly rate tbd
- Profit sharing
(EOE, smoke-free environment)